Can you keep a secret?
Off-price designer clothing has been upgraded.
Shoppers can now buy quality designer clothes at off-price retailers like Marshalls, Loehmann's, TJ Maxx and Steinmart.
No longer considered the place were damaged merchandise or last season's designer clothes goes to die, off-price retailers now carry quality clothes and name brand fashion for all ages and style types.
If you need a few faithful strategies to leave more money in your pockets and less cash in the hands of Neimans, Saks and Bergdorfs, consider these strategies for buying quality clothes from off-price retailers.
Begin off-price shopping early.
- Bargain hunters and off-price stores thrive on the element of surprise.
- If you wait until the day before Christmas to shop, you will miss the best deals and the opportunity to haggle.
- Don’t wait until Black Friday to shop at off-price department stores either.
- Take full advantage of the October and early November merchandise leftover from Halloween and Thanksgiving.
Avoid the major department stores like the plague.
Love the smell of fresh cookies in the food court and the beautifully designed window displays? Me too.
But off-price shoppers only shop at Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, Stein Mart, Ross, Tuesday Morning, Home Goods and Loehmann’s. These stores carry the same fabulous merchandise as the high-end retailers, but at 50 to 80 percent off of retail prices.
Shoppers buying discount merchandise at an off-price retailer always use a shopping road map.
Here’s how to save gas and aggravation. Make a list of all the stores located close to your home. Make a map of all the stores located in a one mile radius of the largest store on your list.
Shop in these locations only. This tip is especially important for Black Friday shopping excursions.
Know the mark down cycles of your favorite off-price stores.
Learn the secret price reduction strategies of your favorite stores. A few retailers mark down items every 15 days or even reduce merchandise every 30 to 60 days.
Bargain hunters are allergic to full price merchandise. Shop the sale and clearance racks only.
A few more tips for shopping at off-price retailers…
- Use cash only. Leave the credit cards at home.
- Want to retain your off-price department store shopping membership card? Ask the store for additional discounts. For example: if a cashmere sweater has a small tear underneath the arm hole, ask for an extra 10 to 15 percent discount.
If you love to hunt for designer bargains, or creating a designer look for less, there's nothing better than buying quality clothes from off price retailers.
Because your wallet deserves a break from the shopping grinch, use these tips and keep your vow to never pay full price for name brand clothing, ever again.